Settimana Coppi e Bartali (st. 4)
Ecuadorian from Movistar Team claims 3rd spot overall after brilliant effort against the clock, 9th on slopes of Montegibbio castle
Richard Carapaz (Movistar Team) successfully protected his coveted podium position at the decisive ITT of the 2018 Settimana Coppi e Bartali, a 12.5km mixed route from Fiorano Modenese to the Montegibbio castle, on flat roads followed by two kilometers of tough uphill terrain. The young Ecuadorian was a notable 9th on Sunday’s showdown, with two other Blues – Víctor de la Parte, a fine 3rd, and Eduardo Sepúlveda, 8th- inside the best ten in the classification, led by Slovenia’s Jan Tratnik (CCC).
Carapaz, who joined Diego Rosa (SKY, 1st) and Bauke Mollema (TFS, 2nd) on the final podium, has notched up his second top-3 finish in a European stagerace with the Movistar Team after last June’s runner up in the 2017 Route du Sud. A result he’s fought hard, together with his team-mates, with courage -on the attack at the Monte Tiffi on Friday- and skills -battling the crosswinds on Saturday-.
Picture (c): Roberto Bettini / BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Jan Tratnik CCC Sprandi Polkowice 19'22"
- 02 Diego Rosa Team Sky +28"
- 03 Víctor De la Parte Movistar Team +31"
- 08 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +46"
- 09 Richard Carapaz Movistar Team +51"
- 16 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team +1'02"
- 22 Rafa Valls Movistar Team +1'08"
- 59 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team +1'49"
- 138 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +3'23"
- 01 Diego Rosa Team Sky 10h12'36"
- 02 Bauke Mollema Trek-Segafredo +20"
- 03 Richard Carapaz Movistar Team +1'02"
- 24 Víctor De la Parte Movistar Team +3'54"
- 29 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +5'00"
- 31 Rafa Valls Movistar Team +5'01"
- 32 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team +5'48"
- 126 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +29'45"
- 130 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team +33'33"