Vuelta a Burgos Féminas (st. 1)
European champion, Katrine Aalerud into GC group, 5″ behind winner Brown (BEX) in Sargentes de la Lora; Sara Martín crashes out with cut to her chin.
A nervous, eventful start to the first WWT edition of the Vuelta a Burgos Féminas, which covered its first 100km on Thursday between Villadiego and the uphill finish -with a Cat-3 climb just before the end- in Sargentes de la Lora.
Grace Brown (BEX) took the victory as she led home a late, three-woman attack alongside Elise Chabbey (CSR, 2nd) and Niamh Fisher-Black (SDW, 3rd), five seconds ahead of a main group with two Movistar Team riders: Annemiek van Vleuten (10th) and Katrine Aalerud.
The Telefónica-backed squad had to regret a DNF, due to a crash during the stage, for local hero Sara Martín, who sustained a cut to her chin which had to be treated and sewed by the race’s medical services and the specialists of the University Hospital in Burgos. The Aranda native also underwent further checkups that ruled out any injuries.
Team-mates Patiño, Erić and González took responsibility to cover Van Vleuten before the climbs and will be their main support in the upcoming days, starting with Friday’s bunch sprint chance in Villarcayo (97km).
Cover picture (c): Photo Gomez Sport
- 01 Grace Brown Team BikeExchange 2h28'28"
- 02 Elise Chabbey Canyon-SRAM "
- 03 Niamh Fisher-Black SD Worx "
- 10 Annemiek van Vleuten Movistar Team +5"
- 33 Katrine Aalerud Movistar Team "
- 54 Paula Patiño Movistar Team +1'43"
- 85 Alicia González Movistar Team +6'52"
- 103 Jelena Erić Movistar Team +8'36"
- — Sara Martín Movistar Team DNF