UAE Tour (st. 4)
High temperatures take its toll in the field before Thursday’s decisive Jebel Jais climb. Sam Bennett (DQT) takes bunch sprint victory at Ras Al Khaimah.
It was a relatively calm day, though with some nervous stretches due to the crosswinds and the preparations for the sprint, at the longest stage of the 2021 UAE Tour on Wednesday, over 204km in and around the hotel area in Al Marjan Island.
The race convoy moved there on Tuesday evening from Abu Dhabi to cover the central part of a race which will get decided on Thursday with the long climb of Jebel Jais (20.6km at 5.4%; finish at nearly 1,500m above sea level).
With no breakaway until the second half of the race, as François Bidard (ACT) and Olivier Le Gac (GFC) went on the attack ahead of a peloton which left them no chance, the real fight of the day was restricted to a bunch sprint won by Sam Bennett (DQT).
In turn, the Movistar Team riders continue to build up their racing pace at the first WorldTour event of the 2021 season, which, for the riders here directed by Patxi Vila and José Luis Jaimerena, mostly started here.
Cover picture (c): BettiniPhoto
- 01 Sam Bennett Deceuninck - Quick Step 4h51'51"
- 02 David Dekker Jumbo - Visma "
- 03 Caleb Ewan Lotto Soudal "
- 44 Davide Villella Movistar Team "
- 70 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team "
- 71 Iñigo Elosegui Movistar Team "
- 86 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team "
- 87 Albert Torres Movistar Team "
- 93 Gregor Mühlberger Movistar Team "
- 101 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team "
- 01 Tadej Pogacar UAE Team Emirates 12h50'21"
- 02 Adam Yates Team INEOS +43"
- 03 Joao Almeida Deceuninck - Quick Step +1'03"
- 39 Davide Villella Movistar Team +13'53"
- 55 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team +17'02"
- 65 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +18'22"
- 91 Albert Torres Movistar Team +25'23"
- 97 Gregor Mühlberger Movistar Team +25'48"
- 98 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team "
- 102 Iñigo Elosegui Movistar Team +25'59"