Spaniard from Movistar Team crashes 50km from Dubai’s finish, with no physical consequence; Dutchman Groenewegen (TJV) wins bunch sprint as Blues finish inside main field.
It was a day of nearly absolute calm at stage four of the 2020 UAE Tour, over 173km in and around Dubai which came down to a world-class bunch sprint won by Dylan Groenewegen (TJV), ahead of Fernando Gaviria (UAD) and Pascal Ackermann (BOH). José Joaquín Rojas (Movistar Team) took 14th place as Adam Yates (MTS) retained his GC lead.
The Telefónica-backed squad, always near the front of the bunch behind the pursuit of the two-man escape, Stojnic (THR) and Clarke (TFS), only had to regret a crash by Sergio Samitier with 45km remaining. The Spaniard did not suffer any injuries, and was able to complete, just like his team-mates, inside the main peloton. It’s thus on to Thursday’s decisive stage five, with the second climb of the week to Jebel Hafeet, after 162km starting right at the foot of the ascent in Al Ain.
- 01 Dylan Groenewegen Jumbo - Visma 4h16'13"
- 02 Fernando Gaviria UAE Team Emirates "
- 03 Pascal Ackermann Bora-Hansgrohe "
- 14 José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team "
- 49 Iñigo Elosegui Movistar Team "
- 50 Albert Torres Movistar Team "
- 65 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team "
- 74 Dario Cataldo Movistar Team "
- 88 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team "
- 121 Sergio Samitier Movistar Team +26"
- 01 Adam Yates Mitchelton-Scott 16h46'15"
- 02 Tadej Pogacar UAE Team Emirates +1'07"
- 03 Alexey Lutsenko Astana Pro Team +1'35"
- 17 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team +2'48"
- 31 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team +4'34"
- 47 José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team +7'30"
- 62 Sergio Samitier Movistar Team +12'07"
- 87 Dario Cataldo Movistar Team +15'52"
- 101 Iñigo Elosegui Movistar Team +19'29"
- 123 Albert Torres Movistar Team +26'43"