Top-ten finish at Spain's sprinters race
Burgos native in the mix at 31st edition of Andalusian race; Movistar Team wins best squad’s prize.
Australian Caleb Ewan (MTS) took the win on Sunday’s 31st Clásica de Almería, 185km from the Andalusian province’s capital to a short circuit’s finish in Roquetas de Mar. The impact of wind gusts on the race’s result was less relevant than expected -even if splits were formed in the late, coastal part of the race- and about 38 riders entered the final lap together to contest the inevitable bunch sprint.
Carlos Barbero, 4th-place finisher last year on the very same finish, took 8th place this time following good support from Erviti, Rojas and Amador into the closing stages. The Burgos native will continue to race on Andalusian soil next week as he takes on the Ruta del Sol starting Wednesday; in turn, the Movistar Team was named best squad of the event after putting three men inside the top 30.
GIF (c): Zaloa Ramos
- 01 Caleb Ewan Mitchelton-Scott 4h35'28"
- 02 Danny Van Poppel LottoNLJumbo m.t.
- 03 Timothy Dupont Wanty-Groupe Gobert m.t.
- 08 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team m.t.
- 18 José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team m.t.
- 24 Andrey Amador Movistar Team m.t.
- 57 Imanol Erviti Movistar Team +46"
- 75 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +1'10"
- 80 Marc Soler Movistar Team +1'52"
- 87 Rafa Valls Movistar Team +2'23"