Blues put end to only Portuguese race in their 2018 calendar
Spaniard completes extremely regular performance within GC group, behind 30-rider break deciding overall classification in favour of Kwiatkowski (SKY). Oliveira takes 10th place overall.
Polish superstar Michal Kwiatkowski (SKY) took it all in the 44th Volta ao Algarve, claiming his second stage win and the overall classification at the end of a grueling Queen stage -173km from Faro to the Alto do Malhao, with plenty of small, steep ascents between the two passages through the famous Portuguese climb-, where a 30-man breakaway turned the race upside down and decided the final outcome.
The strong collaboration between the lead group, which gained almost six minutes of advantage, made the race harder and prevented Nelson Oliveira (Movistar Team) from defending his provisional podium finish. The Portuguese TT specialist struggled into the final ascent and dropped back to 10th overall, as Jaime Rosón, extremely regular during the five-day course, claimed 6th, 2’49” behind Kwiatkowski and just over half a minute off the GC podium.
- 01 Michal Kwiatkowski Team Sky 4h18'02''
- 02 Rúben Guerreiro Trek-Segafredo +4''
- 03 Serge Pauwels Dimension Data +8''
- 26 Jaime Rosón Movistar Team +1'50"
- 49 Nelson Oliveira Movistar Team +2'41"
- 69 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +3'39"
- — Nuno Bico Movistar Team DNF
- — Jasha Sütterlin Movistar Team DNS
- — Rafa Valls Movistar Team DNS