Settimana Coppi e Bartali (day 1)
Movistar Team opens its first-ever appearance at Settimana Coppi e Bartali; toughest stages on Friday -circuit in Sogliano- and Sunday -uphil ITT towards Montegibbio-
Young Dutchman Pascal Eenkhoorn ended day one of the five-stage 2018 Settimana Coppi e Bartali as race leader in Italy, taking advantage from a breakaway win on the 97km morning sector around Gatteo to get a comfortable lead in the standings.
The LottoNLJumbo squad contained Eenkhoorn’s losses at the 13.3-kilometer TTT in the afternoon -they finished in 4th place, 11″ behind winners Team Sky– to stay a minute ahead -mostly the gap gained by their leader in the morning- over a wide-open field of contenders including most of the Movistar Team riders.
The Blues, which had Carapaz, Betancur, Dayer Quintana, De la Parte and Valls into the main field at the end of the morning sector -not the case for Eduardo Sepúlveda, with a costly puncture 5km from the finish-, completed the TTT -with a group mainly formed by climbers- in a decent 11th spot, which allows four from the Blue squad staying 1’33” behind the race leader.
The group directed by José Luis Jaimerena will have their better shot at a good result on Friday’s demanding circuit around Sogliano (130km), which includes the climbs to the Monte Tiffi. A 12.5km ITT on Sunday will define the GC outcome on the slopes of the Montegibbio castle.
Picture (c): BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Team Sky 14'44"
- 02 CCC Sprandi Polkowice +10"
- 03 Mitchelton-Scott m.t.
- 11 Movistar Team ( Eduardo Sepúlveda Rafa Valls Víctor De la Parte Carlos Betancur Richard Carapaz Jaime Castrillo Dayer Quintana ) +31"
- 01 Pascal Eenkhoorn LottoNLJumbo 2h27'32"
- 02 Lawson Craddock EF - Drapac +12"
- 03 Chris Lawless Team Sky +1'02"
- 42 Richard Carapaz Movistar Team +1'33"
- 43 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team m.t.
- 44 Víctor De la Parte Movistar Team m.t.
- 45 Rafa Valls Movistar Team m.t.
- 103 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +2'25"
- 112 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +2'53"
- 132 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team +8'03"