Full squad into lead group
All six Movistar Team riders finish inside 50-man group together at Delémont’s circuit finish, with Amador in 11th and Rosón in 14th; Costa Rican now 18″ off lead by Roglic (TLJ) as Fraile (AST) takes day’s sprint.
Spaniard Omar Fraile (AST) took Wednesday’s win at the restricted group’s sprint on stage one of the Tour de Romandie, over 166km starting at Fribourg and ending with a tough circuit around Delémont, which included two ascents to ‘Le Sommet’ (Cat-2).
The Movistar Team went on the offensive several times in the finale, mostly with Winner Anacona, who followed a couple of moves created by an insistent Astana, AG2R and Groupama-FDJ into the last 15km. Carlos Betancur also tried his luck inside the final kilometer, also to no avail. The two Colombians’ efforts were seconded at the sprint by Jaime Rosón (14th) and, most importantly, Andrey Amador, just off the day’s top-ten (11th).
All six Blue riders finished inside the 50-strong peloton, strung out by LottoNLJumbo as they tried to take other contenders out of the fight. Primoz Roglic (TLJ) is the new GC leader, with Amador 18″ back, in the eve of what’s predictably the most likely stage for sprinters on Thursday, 173km from Delémont to Yverdon-les-Bains.
- 01 Omar Fraile Astana Pro Team 4h03'42"
- 02 Sonny Colbrelli Bahrain-Merida "
- 03 Rui Costa UAE Team Emirates "
- 11 Andrey Amador Movistar Team "
- 14 Jaime Rosón Movistar Team "
- 33 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team "
- 38 Winner Anacona Movistar Team "
- 40 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team "
- 41 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team "
- 01 Primoz Roglic LottoNLJumbo 4h09'16"
- 02 Rohan Dennis BMC Racing Team "
- 03 Geraint Thomas Team Sky +4"
- 20 Andrey Amador Movistar Team +18"
- 28 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +21"
- 35 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team +25"
- 36 Jaime Rosón Movistar Team "
- 46 Winner Anacona Movistar Team +29"
- 52 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +40"