Second racing day in Israel
Carlos Betancur remains 11th overall after getting unscathed through first road stage. Dennis (BMC) sprints to bonus seconds and Maglia Rosa; Viviani (QST) wins in Tel Aviv.
The Movistar Team experienced no major difficulties during the first road stage of the 2018 Giro d’Italia, 167km along the Israeli coast from Haifa to Tel Aviv. The Telefónica-backed squad went safely through a day where BMC picked up the pace halfway through the course to catch the early, three-man breakaway and put Rohan Dennis in pink, the Aussie taking 3″ at the day’s main Traguardo Volante to get ahead of former leader Tom Dumoulin (SUN).
Elia Viviani (QST) convincingly won the inevitable bunch sprint as Carlos Betancur had no troubles to keep his 11th place overall, 29″ behind Dennis. Sunday will bring the Giro’s ‘Grande Partenza’ in Israel to its end with a very long (229km) stage three to the Red Sea in Eilat, again finishing on flat roads.
Picture (c): BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Elia Viviani Quick Step 3h51'20"
- 02 Jakub Mareczko Willier-Selle Italia "
- 03 Sam Bennett Bora-Hansgrohe "
- 54 Richard Carapaz Movistar Team "
- 72 Rafa Valls Movistar Team "
- 76 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team "
- 87 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team "
- 96 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team "
- 107 Víctor De la Parte Movistar Team "
- 152 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +1'05"
- 153 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team "
- 01 Rohan Dennis BMC Racing Team 4h03'21"
- 02 Tom Dumoulin Team Sunweb +1"
- 03 Victor Campenaerts Lotto Soudal +3"
- 11 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team +29"
- 21 Rafa Valls Movistar Team +29"
- 23 Víctor De la Parte Movistar Team +41"
- 35 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team +49"
- 58 Richard Carapaz Movistar Team +1'02"
- 131 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +1'47"
- 137 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +1'57"
- 144 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +2'10"