160km action for Colombian climber in lead of German classic; ‘Rojillas’ best Blue performer in eventful sprint, crash with 2km to go affecting Barbero’s chances.
Italian champion Elia Viviani (QST) took the day’s victory in the inevitable bunch sprint at the end of the 23rd Cyclassics in Hamburgo (UCI WorldTour, 216km), a race led for three quarters of its course by a notable Movistar Team member: Winner Anacona.
Joined by Ivan García Cortina (TBM), Evgeny Shalunov (GAZ), Kamil Gradek (CCC) and Alessandro de Marchi (BMC), the Boyacá native jumped off the front 25km into the race, ahead of a bunch which only brought them back before the third, final Waseberg climb, 18km from the finish.
The peloton rushing towards the finish was split as a crash affected German champion Pascal Ackermann (BOH), a blow which took Carlos Barbero out of position ande made José Joaquín Rojas, 15th across the finish, become the top Blue performer.
Picture (c): BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Elia Viviani Quick Step 4h46'02"
- 02 Arnaud Démare Groupama-FDJ "
- 03 Alexander Kristoff UAE Team Emirates "
- 15 José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team "
- 46 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team +21
- 87 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +58"
- 105 Marc Soler Movistar Team +4'15"
- 114 Winner Anacona Movistar Team +6'32"
- 115 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team "
- — Rafa Valls Movistar Team DNF