End-of-season tour in Italy
World Champion from Movistar Team into fight for victory until final climbs, opens trio of appearances at prestigious races to be continued at Wednesday’s Milano-Torino.
A good performance from both the Spaniard and his Movistar team-mates was the start to Alejandro Valverde’s reign as World Road Race Champion at Tuesday’s Tre Valli Varesine classic in Italy (UCI 1.HC, 197km).
‘Bala’, well supported by Anacona, Dayer Quintana and a fantastic Antonio Pedrero into the splits and attacks behind the early break -as well as Rojas and Carretero early in the race-, stayed at the front of the race until the final climbs to Morosolo and Casciago -inside the 20km of the last lap-, where the moves for victory formed a decisive, seven-man break. The group finished with a handful of seconds over the pursuit bunch including Alejandro Valverde -15th at the finish-, with Latvia’s Toms Skujins (TFS) winning in front of Thibaut Pinot (GFC) and Peter Kennaugh (BOH).
Valverde, who was back to racing today after being paid several tributes in Spain, will continue to seek for the best form before Il Lombardia (Saturday) with another prestigious classic, Wednesday, at Milano-Torino (200km with two climbs to the Basilica di Superga).
Picture (c): BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Toms Skujins Trek-Segafredo 4h55'41"
- 02 Thibaut Pinot Groupama-FDJ "
- 03 Peter Kennaugh Bora-Hansgrohe "
- 15 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team +13"
- 58 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +2'52"
- 82 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +8'03"
- — Winner Anacona Movistar Team DNF
- — Héctor Carretero Movistar Team DNF
- — Carlos Betancur Movistar Team DNF
- — José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team DNF