Tour of Guangxi (finale)
Barbero takes 6th in yet another wet sprint in Guilin -won by Jakobsen (QST)- as Rubén Fernández grabs 7th overall in UCI WorldTour finale in Guangxi, behind victor Gianni Moscon (SKY).
Under soaking rain, which followed cycling’s top-tier peloton for the entire week, a 169km loop around Guilin (China) put an end on Sunday to the 2018 Tour of Guangxi, the final race for the Movistar Team in its 39th season as a professional squad.
In an unevenful stage, with an early, six-man break caught with 5km to finish, Fabio Jakobsen (QST) won the final sprint of the race ahead of Bora duo Pascal Ackermann and Rüdiger Selig, while Carlos Barbero (Movistar Team) obtained a 6th place after his 4th spot in Saturday’s rolling, long stage five.
There weren’t any changes to the top places overall, with Gianni Moscon (SKY) as winner of the 2nd edition of the Chinese race while Rubén Fernández (7th, +25″) claimed his most significant result in a season hampered by a foot fracture early in the year. Also to note on today’s race was a DNS from Jorge Arcas, unable to complete the race with stomach problems.
Picture (c): BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Fabio Jakobsen Quick Step 3h42'53"
- 02 Pascal Ackermann Bora-Hansgrohe "
- 03 Rüdiger Selig Bora-Hansgrohe "
- 06 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team "
- 21 Jasha Sütterlin Movistar Team "
- 37 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team "
- 78 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team "
- 86 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team "
- 89 Winner Anacona Movistar Team "
- — Jorge Arcas Movistar Team DNS
- 01 Gianni Moscon Team Sky 20h39'56"
- 02 Felix Grossschartner Bora-Hansgrohe +9"
- 03 Sergei Chernetski Astana Pro Team +14"
- 07 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team +25"
- 19 Winner Anacona Movistar Team +38"
- 25 Jasha Sütterlin Movistar Team +45"
- 31 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team +1'07"
- 59 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team +6'38"
- 64 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team +6'47"