UAE Tour (st. 5)
Valverde, Movistar Team away from trouble all the way towards Khor Fakkan; World Champion remains in 2nd overall, 21″ behind Primoz Roglic (TJV), before 20km decisive climb to highest peak in the country.
It was a very calm stage, only stressful at its final 15km, during Thursday’s act five of the 2019 UAE Tour, a route crossing the country west to east from Sharjah to Khor Fakkan (181 kilometers) ending with a bunch sprint won by Italian Elia Viviani (DQT).
The Movistar Team had an uneventful ride, yet always focused and near the front with Alejandro Valverde and his team-mates staying out of trouble. The Spaniard actually got what anecdotically is his worst result -he finished 41st- in the 15 racing days he’s covered so far in 2019.
The World Champion remains in 2nd place overall, 21″ behind Slovenia’s Primoz Roglic (TJV), before Friday’s big mountain showdown. The 180km route from Ajman to the Jebel Jais observation deck, next to the highest peak in the country, is officially a 20.6km ascent at 5.4%, yet the roads will be uphill for fifteen kilometers before the starting point of the climb.
Cover picture (c): Dario Belingheri / BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Elia Viviani Deceuninck - Quick Step 4h48'59"
- 02 Fernando Gaviria UAE Team Emirates "
- 03 Marcel Kittel Katusha-Alpecin "
- 41 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team "
- 78 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team "
- 89 Jasha Sütterlin Movistar Team "
- 93 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team "
- 99 Nelson Oliveira Movistar Team "
- 112 Andrey Amador Movistar Team "
- 133 Lluís Mas Movistar Team +2'47"
- 01 Primoz Roglic Jumbo - Visma 18h54'09"
- 02 Alejandro Valverde Movistar Team +21"
- 03 David Gaudu Groupama-FDJ +38"
- 56 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team +10'10"
- 67 Jasha Sütterlin Movistar Team +15'04"
- 68 Nelson Oliveira Movistar Team +15'27"
- 70 Lluís Mas Movistar Team +15'59"
- 72 Andrey Amador Movistar Team +16'44"
- 127 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team +26'16"