Settimana Coppi e Bartali (st. 1A / 1B)
Movistar Team just 27″ behind race leader Stannard (MTS) in good performance from Blue climbers, set to tackle favourable terrain as of Thursday’s stage two.
A sprint win for Latvia’s Emils Liepins (WVA) and Mitchelton-Scott’s success at the afternoon’s team time trial were the results at the first day of the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali (UCI 2.1), held around the village of Gatteo in the Emilia-Romagna region, just next to the Adriatic Sea.
As the Movistar Team remained safe and tucked inside the peloton in the short, yet lumpy morning sector -97km with three climbs of the Muro di Longiano, with cobblestones and slopes up to 20%-, the squad directed by Maximilian Sciandri focused all of their efforts on keeping gaps short against the other main candidates to the GC win on Italian soil. Good cooperation adn strength from Bennati, Fernández, Landa, Betancur, Anacona, Sepúlveda and Pedrero meant the Blues could finish in a very decent 6th spot, 27″ behind MTS and just six seconds off the day’s third place.
The Telefónica-backed squad thus remains in an acceptable position before a grueling series of mid-mountain stages coming up from Thursday. Day two will be a very tough one, with just 140km yet with steep ascents to San Marino, Torriana (2km at 11%) and three final climbs to the Monte Tiffi (4.5km at 7.5%) in the circuit of Sogliano Rubicone, where Richard Carapaz already shone in the 2018 edition of the race.
Cover picture (c): Dario Belingheri / BettiniPhoto
- 01 Mitchelton-Scott 14'17"
- 02 Team Sky +10"
- 03 Gazprom - Rusvelo +21"
- 6 Movistar Team ( Daniele Bennati Carlos Betancur Winner Anacona Rubén Fernández Mikel Landa Eduardo Sepúlveda Antonio Pedrero ) +27"
- 01 Robert Stannard Mitchelton-Scott 2h31'44"
- 02 Damien Howson Mitchelton-Scott "
- 03 Lucas Hamilton Mitchelton-Scott "
- 24 Winner Anacona Movistar Team +27"
- 25 Mikel Landa Movistar Team "
- 26 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team "
- 27 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team "
- 28 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team "
- 29 Carlos Betancur Movistar Team "
- 115 Daniele Bennati Movistar Team +1'19"