Tour of Britain (finale)
Costa Rican from Movistar Team on the attack in last stage towards Manchester, wraps up great effort in 8th place as Van der Poel (COC) takes resounding victory in tight eight-day race.
Dutchman Mathieu Van der Poel (COC) had no troubles to secure the overall victory in the 2019 Tour of Britain, after a lumpy stage eight course with a flat finish in the last 166km from Altrincham to Manchester.
Saturday’s was undoubtedly the strongest outing of the week by the Movistar Team in Great Britain, going on the attack with most of its riders -mainly Mikel Landa and Héctor Carretero into solo attempts- while also seeking to improve the GC result of a great Andrey Amador, who finished in 8th, just over a minute behind VDP, following a great solo move and several subsequent attacks within the race contenders.
The Costa Rican was the top Movistar Team performer in a race which, together with Sunday’s GP Montréal, completes the schedule of races outside continental Europe for the Blues in 2019 -set to race as a team actually in only one country until October, Italy-.
Cover picture (c): SWPix
- 01 Mathieu Van der Poel Corendon - Circus 3h49'26"
- 02 Cees Bol Team Sunweb "
- 03 Matteo Trentin Mitchelton-Scott "
- 13 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team "
- 20 Andrey Amador Movistar Team "
- 34 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team +13"
- 40 Mikel Landa Movistar Team +24"
- 66 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +6'17"
- 72 Carlos Verona Movistar Team "
- 01 Mathieu Van der Poel Corendon - Circus 29h47'41"
- 02 Matteo Trentin Mitchelton-Scott +17"
- 03 Jasper De Buyst Lotto Soudal +50
- 08 Andrey Amador Movistar Team +1'04"
- 35 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team `9'14"
- 38 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team +12'04"
- 39 Mikel Landa Movistar Team +12'54"
- 52 Carlos Verona Movistar Team +20'51"
- 65 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team +30'33"