Combative performance from Telefónica-backed squad during second half of Italian stagerace, with two breaks from Héctor + Sergio Samitier’s courageous effort last Sunday.
Briton Simon Yates (MTS) conquered the 55th edition of Tirreno-Adriatico (UCI WorldTour) on Monday, as he got safely through the traditional, flat, final 10km individual time trial in San Benedetto del Tronto.
Yates was joined on the final podium by Geraint Thomas (IGD) and Rafal Majka (BOH) as Filippo Ganna (IGD) won the TT, with Matteo Jorgenson as top Movistar Team performer, 1’04” down on the day’s victor.
The roster directed by Chente García Acosta and Maximilian Sciandri on Italian soil visited the final podium thanks to Héctor Carretero’s win in the KOM classification, unofficially sealed last Sunday and made possible by big efforts in the most mountainous stages on Thursday and Friday.
The Blues got back to the fore of the race on Sunday with another break from Sergio Samitier, another courageous member from a Telefónica-backed squad which enjoyed here its most relevant warm-up event before next month’s Giro d’Italia. The Blues will be back in action on Wednesday for the Giro della Toscana.
Cover picture (c): BettiniPhoto
- 01 FIlippo Ganna Team INEOS 10'42"
- 02 Victor Campenaerts NTT Pro Cycling Team +18"
- 03 Rohan Dennis Team INEOS +26"
- 39 Matteo Jorgenson Movistar Team +1'04"
- 50 Albert Torres Movistar Team +1'12"
- 90 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +1'37"
- 91 Davide Villella Movistar Team +1'38"
- 103 Sergio Samitier Movistar Team +1'43"
- 115 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team +1'48"
- 143 Juan Diego Alba Movistar Team +2'23"
- 01 Simon Yates Mitchelton-Scott 32h07'34"
- 02 Geraint Thomas Team INEOS +17"
- 03 Rafal Majka Bora-Hansgrohe +29"
- 24 Davide Villella Movistar Team +9'20"
- 44 Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team +23'59"
- 46 Matteo Jorgenson Movistar Team +25'02"
- 51 Sergio Samitier Movistar Team +32'40"
- 78 Héctor Carretero Movistar Team +54'40"
- 101 Juan Diego Alba Movistar Team +1h09'05"
- 150 Albert Torres Movistar Team +1h43'00"