People's Choice Classic
German contests Adelaide criterium’s finishing sprint alongside Carlos Barbero (11th); WorldTour starts on Tuesday with stage one of the Tour Down Under.
Peter Sagan (BOH) won Sunday’s non-UCI criterium People’s Choice Classic, the traditional prelude to the big Australian week of racing for WorldTour squads (50km, 22 laps).
The circuit in Wakefield Road (Adelaide) marked the start of the 2018 season for the men’s Movistar Team, which got in the mix at the inevitable bunch sprint with two of its riders: Jasha Sütterlin and Carlos Barbero.
Both Blues avoided the crash of Norwegian Kristoffer Halvorsen (SKY) inside the final straight and took 9th and 11th, respectively. Both the Spaniard and the German will try to shine at the group finishes of the 20th Tour Down Under, which will kick off cycling’s highest-tier schedule for 2018.
Picture (c): Dario Belingheri / BettiniPhoto.net
Down Under Classic
- 01 Peter Sagan Bora-Hansgrohe 1h04'25"
- 02 Andre Greipel Lotto Soudal s.t.
- 03 Caleb Ewan Mitchelton-Scott s.t.
- 09 Jasha Sütterlin Movistar Team s.t.
- 11 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team s.t.
- 35 Nelson Oliveira Movistar Team +8"
- 39 Nuno Bico Movistar Team s.t.
- 41 Marc Soler Movistar Team s.t.
- 93 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team +39"
- 118 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team +1'22"