Tough race for Blues at 'Doyenne'
Mavi hurts right shoulder after tumble at Roche-aux-Faucons descent, after prior crash for Lorena Llamas. Neylan into early break, Jasińska 21st at finish.
Dutchwoman Anna Van der Breggen (DLT) took her latest exhibition to fruition at yet another very lively Liège-Bastogne-Liège (UCI Women’s WorldTour, 136km), as the Movistar Team suffered from big misfortune with two of the Blues crashing out of the race: Mavi García and Lorena Llamas.
While Lorena fell into the first half of the race – with no major consequences other than bruises to her elbows, knees and side, in similar places to the ones affected at her previous crash on Wednesday’s Flèche Wallonne, García suffered a more serious incident at the descent of the Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons. Hit from behind, the Mallorca native crashed against her right-hand shoulder, the pain forcing her to step into the race ambulance. Mavi, transferred to the Seraing hospital to undergo checkups, was confirmed a fracture to her collarbone, which will require surgery next week.
The two crashes overshadowed an otherwise consistent race from the Telefónica-backed squad, present into the early break before the initial climb to La Vecquée with Australian Rachel Neylan. Three were the Blues that reached the finish of Ans, with Oyarbide, González and an again strong Małgorzata Jasińska, 21st (+2’34”).
- 01 Anna Van der Breggen Boels-Dolmans 3h34'23"
- 02 Amanda Spratt Mitchelton-Scott +6"
- 03 Annemiek Van Vleuten Mitchelton-Scott +58"
- 21 Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team +2'34"
- 46 Alicia González Movistar Team +5'54"
- 64 Lourdes Oyarbide Movistar Team +6'24"
- — Rachel Neylan Movistar Team DNF
- — Mavi García Movistar Team DNF
- — Lorena Llamas Movistar Team DNF