Circuito de Getxo
Aranburu (CJR) outsprints Spaniard from Movistar Team at final kick uphill in Txomintxu, following strong Blue teamwork for their team leader.
Carlos Barbero (Movistar Team) came just one step short to back-to-back victories in the Circuito de Getxo, the 73rd edition of the Basque race -ten laps and 185km, finishing atop the Txomintxu hill (slopes up to 14%)- having been dominated the Blues’ teamwork during the entire morning’s racing.
The squad directed by José Luis Jaimerena put on some big efforts from the very start to keep the day’s early break under control – a four man attempt with López-Cózar (EUK), Oien (CJR), Mihaylov (DMP) and Torres (BBH)-, with Jaime Castrillo and Víctor de la Parte pushing into the first 120km then Valls, Pedrero and Anacona picking up the pace and neutralizing Caja Rural’s moves on the last two laps.
An excellent sprint leadout from Richard Carapaz (5th) did not have the effect the Blues desired, Barbero being pipped at the final slope by youngster Alex Aranburu (CJR). Carlos will try to bounce back and seek for a third win in his 2018 season at his home race, the Vuelta a Burgos, which starts next Tuesday.
- 01 Alex Aranburu Caja Rural 4h31'40"
- 02 Carlos Barbero Movistar Team "
- 03 Jon Aberasturi Euskadi-Murias "
- 05 Richard Carapaz Movistar Team +5"
- 18 Rafa Valls Movistar Team +1'03"
- 24 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +2'31"
- 25 Winner Anacona Movistar Team "
- 38 Jaime Castrillo Movistar Team +8'04"
- 39 Víctor De la Parte Movistar Team "