Back to racing after La Vuelta
Colombian climber from Movistar Team into two main big attacks at Montevecchio climbs; finishes inside leading 18-man group as Ballerini (ANS) succeeds.
Italian Davide Ballerini (ANS) took the sprint win at the end of the 15th Memorial Marco Pantani -199km towards coastal Cesenatico in the Romagna region-, a race with big protagonism from Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team) in his return into competition after the Vuelta a España.
The ‘Cóndor’ went on the attack with 100km remaining, through the second of three climbs to Montevecchio (4km at 7%), into a four-man counter alongside Gesbert (FST), Cataldo (ITA) and Pozzovivo (TBM) after the day’s early break. After that move was neutralized just before the third, decisive climb, Quintana accelerated again and joined the move that eventually sticked, 18 riders ammassing a three-minute gap over the main bunch before the flat, final circuit.
Limited by his natural abilities at such a sprint but still courageous enough to go on the attack again into the last 15km, Nairo had to stay content with a ver decent 7th place, leaving, though, a great impression before next Sunday’s Worlds road race in Innsbruck (Austria). Before that, the Movistar Team will tackle a last Italian race on Sunday, the Trofeo Matteotti.
Picture (c): Roberto Bettini / BettiniPhoto.net
- 01 Davide Ballerini Androni Giocattoli 5h03'07"
- 02 David Gaudu Groupama-FDJ "
- 03 Francesco Gavazzi Androni Giocattoli "
- 07 Nairo Quintana Movistar Team "
- 26 José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team +3'46"
- 33 Dayer Quintana Movistar Team "
- 34 Rubén Fernández Movistar Team "
- — Jorge Arcas Movistar Team DNF
- — Mikel Landa Movistar Team DNF
- — Eduardo Sepúlveda Movistar Team DNF