Challenge Mallorca (finale)
Spaniard from Movistar Team shows polyvalent abilities once again, contests bunch sprint -won by Kittel (TKA)- after 9th place in Deià on Saturday; Lluís Mas wins KOM, Most Courageous rider in final Mallorca race.
As it’s tradition, the 2019 Challenge Mallorca ended with a bunch sprint at Palma’s coastal boulevard following a final trophy (159km) where German Marcel Kittel (TKA) was superior to his rivals. José Joaquín Rojas, 9th yesterday behind team-mates Valverde (3rd) and Oliveira (6th) at the grueling Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana, fought once again today for a good result into the bunch kick, and took 10th place to show he’s able to shine in all terrains when an opportunity for individual results comes around.
The Movistar Team enjoyed a triple visit to the podium on Sunday, mostly thanks to local hero Lluís Mas. The Ses Salines native went first over the top of the Coll Sa Creu -winning the KOM classification in the process- and was also awarded the Most Courageous Rider prize. On the other hands, the Blues were again recognised, following Saturday’s ‘victory’, as the team with most bottles recycled at the feedzones, complying with the new UCI rule on litter collection.
Cover picture (c): Photo Gomez Sport
- 01 Marcel Kittel Katusha-Alpecin 3h45'23"
- 02 Timothy Dupont Wanty-Groupe Gobert "
- 03 Hugo Hofstetter Cofidis "
- 10 José Joaquín Rojas Movistar Team "
- 22 Jürgen Roelandts Movistar Team "
- 46 Lluís Mas Movistar Team "
- 57 Daniele Bennati Movistar Team "
- 85 Imanol Erviti Movistar Team "
- 118 Antonio Pedrero Movistar Team +1'13"
- — Carlos Verona Movistar Team DNF