Vuelta a Burgos Féminas (st. 2)
Spanish climber from Movistar Team shines again at hill-top finish in Poza de la Sal, following her runner-up in Yorkshire; Paladin (ALE) wins before Saturday’s decisive Alto de Rosales.
Mavi García’s (Movistar Team) stellar recent performances were joined by another strong result on Friday’s stage two of the 2019 Vuelta a Burgos Féminas, a nervous 88km course in and around Poza de la Sal with a 2km uphill finish at just over 4%.
The flurry of attacks from the start did not generate a real breakaway, with the Blues controlling alongside Alé Cipollini at the front of the bunch to not let any significant moves stay away. The work by Oyarbide, Teruel and González helped García and Eider Merino reach the final ascent into a selected group of 30 riders.
Soraya Paladin (ALE) anticipated Mavi’s good finish with a strong attack inside the final kilometer. García thus had to stay content with a narrow 2nd, ahead of Katia Ragusa (BPK), into a first echelon two seconds behind the winner. Tight margins for the overall contenders before Saturday’s real mountain finish in the Alto de Rosales (81km).
Cover picture (c): Photo Gomez Sport
- 01 Soraya Paladin Alé Cipollini 2h25'05"
- 02 Mavi García Movistar Team "
- 03 Katia Ragusa BePink "
- 15 Eider Merino Movistar Team "
- 47 Alicia González Movistar Team "
- 48 Lourdes Oyarbide Movistar Team "
- 49 Alba Teruel Movistar Team "
- 61 Roxane Fournier Movistar Team "
- 01 Karlijn Swinkels Alé Cipollini 5h05'06"
- 01 Maaike Boogaard BTC City Ljubljana "
- 01 Marion Bessone Macogep "
- 10 Alba Teruel Movistar Team "
- 11 Lourdes Oyarbide Movistar Team "
- 21 Mavi García Movistar Team +12"
- 28 Eider Merino Movistar Team "
- 40 Roxane Fournier Movistar Team "
- 52 Alicia González Movistar Team "