UCI Women's WorldTour
Frenchwoman from Movistar Team down early on first road stage of the Boels Ladies Tour; no fractures after significant blow to her right side. Fournier 7th as Wiebes (PHV) wins bunch sprint.
It was an eventful day for the Movistar Team on Wednesday’s stage one of the 2019 Boels Ladies Tour, over 123km from Stamproy to Weert on completely flat roads, yet quite nervous terrain due to the gusty winds and the high speeds of the peloton.
Aude Biannic was forced to abandon after a crash just over 20km into the stage, a significant blow to her right side -gluteus, lower back and elbow- which required a visit to a medical center next to the finish, where the scans ruled out any fractures.
Alicia González was also involved with no consequence, 35km before the end, into a pile-up also containing the winner of the prologue, Anniemiek van Vleuten (MTS). The inevitable sprint saw Lorena Wiebes (PHV) taking a comfortable win into a finishing straight where Roxane Fournier took 7th place.
The Dutch race will offer the sprinters another clear chance in Gennep (114 km) on Thursday before the weekend’s hilly stages, which should decide the GC outcome.
- 01 Lorena Wiebes Parkhotel Valkenburg 2h59'02"
- 02 Kirsten Wild WNT - Rotor "
- 03 Letizia Paternoster Trek-Segafredo "
- 07 Roxane Fournier Movistar Team "
- 31 Sheyla Gutiérrez Movistar Team "
- 42 Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team "
- 47 Alicia González Movistar Team "
- 90 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team +1'28"
- — Aude Biannic Movistar Team DNF
- 01 Annemiek van Vleuten Mitchelton-Scott 3h04'06"
- 02 Lorena Wiebes Parkhotel Valkenburg +3"
- 03 Letizia Paternoster Trek-Segafredo +4"
- 43 Sheyla Gutiérrez Movistar Team +28"
- 55 Roxane Fournier Movistar Team +32"
- 56 Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team "
- 57 Alicia González Movistar Team "
- 88 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team +2'13"