Madrid Challenge (st. 2)
Frenchwoman fights into tough sprint in Cibeles, bested only by Hosking (ALE) and Paternoster (TFS). Lourdes Oyarbide finishes with overall top-20.
Germany’s Lisa Brennauer (WNT) notched up overall honours in the 2019 Madrid Challenge thanks to her victory at Saturday’s opening ITT in Boadilla and a focused, solid ride in the fast-paced final circuit, over 16 laps (98km) around the Plaza de Cibeles.
The Movistar Team ended its second year as a UCI Women outfit on a high note, with courageous individual performances from all Blues. Lourdes Oyarbide –who sported a special-edition Canyon bike as Spanish road race champion for the first time today-, Gloria Rodríguez and Malgorzata Jasinska -who sustained a crash which didn’t cost her major injuries, only bruises to her left side- made it into short-lived breaks, prior to the inevitable sprint under the rain.
Roxane Fournier was just two small steps short for victory, bested only by Chloe Hosking (ALE, 1st) and Letizia Paternoster (TFS, 2nd) as Oyarbide, at the back of the reduced leading peloton, confirmed a top-20 overall finish.
Cover picture (c): Dario Belingheri / BettiniPhoto
- 01 Chloe Hosking AG2R La Mondiale 2h20'31"
- 02 Letizia Paternoster Trek-Segafredo "
- 03 Roxane Fournier Movistar Team "
- 30 Lourdes Oyarbide Movistar Team "
- 58 Paula Patiño Movistar Team +6'27"
- 59 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team "
- — Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team DNF
- — Sheyla Gutiérrez Movistar Team DNF