Second WorldTour event in 2018
Mavi García on the attack near final circuit; Jasinska (18th) into final split after race of attrition, with plenty of splits, hills and cobblestones.
Dutchwoman Amy Pieters (DLT) took the win at Sunday’s field sprint in a very much fought Ronde van Drenthe, the second race of the 2018 UCI Women’s WorldTour, over 157km from Emmen to Hoogeveen where the Movistar Team again sought for a starring role prior to the final laps around the finish.
The telephone squad, riding with intelligence and strength through the opening cobblestones and the four climbs to the VAM-berg, where they conserved all six riders inside the main field, were then struck by misfortune as a crash by World champion Chantal Blaak (DLT), entering the last ‘keienstrook’ prior to the circuit, left the main group vastly reduced. Only Małgorzata Jasińska, 18th at the finish, got through the unexpected move, again showing good legs following her attack in the closing laps of the Drentse 8, last Friday.
A positive impression was also left by Spaniard Mavi García, on a solo attack with 50km remaining to lead the race before the final hour of racing. The former Spanish road race champion finished inside the second main group, three minutes behind the leaders, alongside Alba Teruel, Aude Biannic and Lourdes Oyarbide.
- 01 Amy Pieters Boels-Dolmans 4h06'44"
- 02 Alexis Ryan Canyon-SRAM m.t.
- 03 Chloe Hosking Alé Cipollini +1"
- 18 Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team m.t.
- 52 Mavi García Movistar Team +3'18"
- 58 Alba Teruel Movistar Team +3'23"
- 59 Aude Biannic Movistar Team +3'30"
- 67 Lourdes Oyarbide Movistar Team +3'43"
- — Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team DNF