Aude again top Blue finisher in Belgium
Frenchwoman comes incredibly close to maiden top-ten finish for Movistar Team at UCI Women’s WorldTour event, finishes inside first group in restricted field’s sprint. Sütterlin best Movistar in men’s race
Italian Marta Bastianelli (ALE) grabbed the win on Sunday’s 2018 Gent-Wevelgem, where numerous attacks in the flat final section of the race did not prevent a sprint out of a 20-rider group deciding the day’s outcome. The Movistar Team shone with Frenchwoman Aude Biannic, who showed strength and skills on the crosswinds inside the last 25km and saved energy for the bunch kick. The ‘brétonne’ ended up in 11th place and just touched a first top-ten finish in a WWT classic for the ladies directed by Jorge Sanz.
Before that, Lourdes Oyarbide had sought for the initial breaks while Alicia González and Małgorzata Jasińska stayed with the top contenders on the final climb to the grueling Kemmelberg, even going on the attack later on. However, the crosswinds caught them out of position and relegated the two to a second group (+1’48”) which also included Gloria Rodríguez. Over at the men’s race, Jasha Sütterlin (33rd) was the first Movistar Team finisher inside the second main bunch, just over three minutes behind winner Peter Sagan (BOH) –results-.
Picture (c): Sean Robinson / Vélofocus
- 01 Marta Bastianelli Alé Cipollini 3h41'00"
- 02 Jolien D'Hoore Mitchelton-Scott m.t.
- 03 Lisa Klein Canyon-SRAM m.t.
- 11 Aude Biannic Movistar Team m.t.
- 41 Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team +1'48"
- 45 Alicia González Movistar Team m.t.
- 70 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team +1'56"
- 84 Alba Teruel Movistar Team +3'39"
- — Lourdes Oyarbide Movistar Team DNF