UCI Women's WorldTour
Biannic -22nd, 18″ behind Van Vleuten (MTS)- finishes as best Movistar Team performer in Tom Dumoulin BikePark circuit, full of twists and turns and even containing a short cobbled sector.
It was a resounding victory from World Time Trial Champion Annemiek van Vleuten (MTS) at the 2019 Boels Ladies Tour prologue, a 3.8km course in the cycling complex named after Tom Dumoulin in Sittard-Geleen, in south Limburg. The Dutchwoman ‘flew’ at 45kph average to put 6″ on Lisa Klein (CSR) and 7″ on Lucinda Brand (SUN), 2nd and 3rd respectively.
Movistar Team got safely through the multiple crashes -one of which affected another favourite, Ellen van Dijk (SUN)- into a parcours full of turns, though clean and wide, which also contained a short cobblestone sector and some short, sharp hills. Aude Biannic, 22nd quickest at 18″, and Sheyla Gutiérrez, within half a minute of the leader, were the top finishers from the squad managed by Sebastián Unzué and Jorge Sanz.
The formerly-known-as Holland Ladies Tour will tackle a difficult stage one on Wednesday, with rain and strong winds forecast for the afternoon, over 123km from Stamproy to Weert, where the sprint is not guaranteed.
Cover picture (c): Velofocus
- 01 Annemiek van Vleuten Mitchelton-Scott 5'04"
- 02 Lisa Klein Canyon-SRAM +6"
- 03 Lucinda Brand Team Sunweb +7"
- 22 Aude Biannic Movistar Team +18"
- 53 Sheyla Gutiérrez Movistar Team +28"
- 67 Roxane Fournier Movistar Team +32"
- 68 Małgorzata Jasińska Movistar Team "
- 70 Alicia González Movistar Team "
- 92 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team +45"