Giro Rosa (finale)
27-rider escape, with Paula and Movistar team-mate Jelena Eric, propels Colombian up to overall top-ten in Motta Montecorvino, after nine days of great efforts.
Dutchwoman Anna van der Breggen (DLT) conquered the 2020 Giro Rosa on Saturday after holding off her rivals into a demanding final stage, over 110km in Motta Montecorvino with four laps around the tough GPM of Volturno (Cat-2).
Evita Muzic (FDJ) took the day’s victory from an enormous, 27-rider breakaway with two Movistar Team members in: Jelena Erić and Paula Patiño. The Colombian used the attempt as launchpad to improve her chances to achieve the pre-race goal of the entire group directed by Pablo Lastras: an overall top-ten finish which seemed like really close at the final lap (-25km), where they held more than four minutes on the GC group.
Patiño, supported by Erić and staying close to all final moves, crossed the line 52″ behind the winner, while the race contenders, together at the finish and with no big attacks, ended up three minutes behind. The gap made possible a huge leap from Paula: from 13th overall in the eve of today’s stage, to 8th. A great result for the Movistar Team, after huge efforts by the whole group over the last nine days.
Cover picture (c): Velofocus
- 01 Evita Muzic FDJ Nv. Aquit. Futuroscope 3h16'30"
- 02 Niamh Fisher-Black Paule Ka "
- 03 Juliette Labous Team Sunweb "
- 10 Paula Patiño Movistar Team +42"
- 19 Jelena Erić Movistar Team +3'03"
- 33 Katrine Aalerud Movistar Team +3'53"
- 53 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team +7'43"
- 75 Aude Biannic Movistar Team +8'47"
- 01 Anna van der Breggen Boels-Dolmans 26h25'43"
- 02 Kasia Niewiadoma Canyon-SRAM +1'14"
- 03 Elisa Longo Borghini Trek-Segafredo +2'20"
- 08 Paula Patiño Movistar Team +6'54"
- 16 Katrine Aalerud Movistar Team +10'21"
- 54 Jelena Erić Movistar Team +48'04"
- 66 Aude Biannic Movistar Team +58'26"
- 79 Gloria Rodríguez Movistar Team +1h13'48"